Sunday, December 7, 2008

Which lens?

If you had to choose which lens to add to your collection, which one would you choose?

  • Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DL-M "Motorized" DG Macro Telephoto Zoom Lens with Built-in Motor Drive for Nikon SLR Cameras Including D40, D40X, & D60 (click here for more info)
  • OR
  • Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras (click here for more info.)

I need to choose one as an idea for my hubby to give me for Christmas! I currently have the standard 18-55mm.

I want your opinion!!

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Cathy I really am a believer in buying the lens that your camera manufacture makes. If you own a Nikon buy Nikon lenses. The sigma and tamaron lenses are cheaper for a reason. You get what you pay for. I know a lot of the mark up might be for the name, but I think they are better quality too. That being said. I have a 70-300 lens and love it to death. Most of my favorite pictures are taken with it. I feel that I I need it's versatility. It makes a good macro lens. It brings in those things that would never make a good picture closer and I love it's portrait capabilities. However, the "fast g;ass" optics of a 1.8 or whatever it was lens will also be superb. You will get better indoor pictures and great isolation. So...Happy shopping:-)

Tyra said...

DEFINITELY get a nikon lens. I agree with Jenifer completely. The quality is unsurpassable. Yay for christmas gifts!!!

Heather said...

yep...stick with nikon for sure. it will be more compatable with your camera. and i would go with a 70-300. much more versatility. and if you are going to get just one, that's what i would get!

April said...

So I don't know jack, obviously, but I am happy that I purchased my 50mm, 1.8 etc for the type of shooting I am doing, which is close ups of my kids, mostly indoors in dear old WA. I'm not too in to versatility, you know me:) Oh, did I mention not to really listen to me because I don't know jack:)

Anonymous said...

it's hard to say, if you do landscape and nature i would use the 70-300 more, but the 50mm fixed is really nice for portraits. i have a tramron wide angle lens i like for my nikon. so i'm into nixing brands, and o haven't had a problem yet. so it's up to you, but i would lean towards the 50mm fixed.

Amanda said...

I agree with Blaire. I mix brands too, and love what I have. It's mostly technique that matters.

Fisher Family said...

Great question Cathy..very helpful for me too. I have two lens coming but it's been so long since I've ordered my camera :'( I can't remember which ones they are. Better be here this week.

The Seaquist Family said...

DON'T get the 50mm 1.8f - it isn't auto focus on the D40x. The comprable lens that is auto focus on our camera just came out in Sept/Oct and is $450.00! It is a 50mm 1.4f.....I can't remember the rest. I SO want that lens, but am just not ready to dump that kind of money until I have gotten a little better with what I currently have. I have the 18-55 and the 55-200 VR lenses. BUT oh how I want that 50mm. Maybe in a year.....