Monday, November 10, 2008

Flash Comparison

So, there I was, sitting on the heating vent in FAO Schwarz, nursing the baby, and I decided to play around with my camera.

I took a shot with the flash and a shot without the flash. I was shocked that the picture without the flash showed the true colors that I saw with my naked eye. I thought the flash was always supposed to help. Not true!
The rest of the day I was cognizant of the flash and the colors I was getting in my shots. Almost every time, the shots without the flash showed the true color. However, I got blurry images sometimes. I don't know how to adjust the settings on my camera manually, so I was at the mercy of my camera's auto choices while I had it on the "no flash" setting. All in all, I didn't get great shots of NYC because of this. However, I'll be better prepared next time because my "Nikon D40x Digital Field Guide" just arrived. I have some homework to do, but I hope I'll know what to do next time. In the meantime, enjoy the shots that did work out.
1/60 sec, F/4.5, 31 mm, ISO 200 (with flash).

1/30 sec, F4.5, 31mm, ISO 560 (no flash).

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

The no flash would have been even better with a corrected white balance. Check your preset white balance setting you should find one for florescent and tungsten. Fun experement. I found, when taking pictures indoors without lots of great natural light that I have to have a shutter speed too low to hand hold the camera and still get a crisp photo. I am a pretty shakey photographer so instead of always breaking out the tripod I try bracing the camera on something.

Fisher Family said...

I also try the bracing the camera effect..works better than my unsteady hand. Ok Jen for someone who doesn't think she has enough knowledge for the Thurs mtg..it sure sounds like you've done your homework. When Laurie L. is finished w/ your DVD do you mind if I borrow it?
Thanks for your trial run and experience Cathy. These posts will make all the difference when I look @ the new camera and think what do I do now.